Archive for Travel Tips
Has Your Credit Card Kept Up With Technology? 15 Nov 2014
If you have traveled abroad in the last year or so, you likely experienced your credit card being declined by a merchant even though funds were available and you let your bank know where and when you were traveling. Many countries including the European Union, Canada, Mexico, Brazil and others have implemented a “chip and pin” (or EMV) technology for processing cards in order to reduce fraud. This has made our US-issued cards antiquated and often unable to be read by merchants with newer card technology, resulting in your purchase being denied. To help ensure smoother travels, request a replacement card from your bank that has an embedded microchip and 4-digit pin number before doing any foreign travel, or find a bank that will.
Have you ever experienced the inconvenience and even embarrassment of having your credit card declined for a purchase while traveling? Due to the increasing amount of fraud, card issuers are even more vigilant in approving charges that appear out of your customary spending habits. Make it a habit to call your bank or other card issuer before you leave home and let them know where and when you will be traveling.
10 Travel Tips to Peru 09 Oct 2014
Peru may not be the most popular destination for travelers but it is highly-recommended for women-only groups. What better way to learn the interesting life and work of the Peruvian women than with your girlfriends?
Gateway Destinations offers a customized tour package that lets you discover the mystical beauty of modern Peru.E xplore the Sacred Valley with Peru’s top historian as your tour guide. By visiting a private visit to the largest private colonial art collection in Latin America, you can learn about colonial history.
You can also learn more about art safari by going to a vibrant mountaintop city of Cuzco. And to learn the modern Peruvian women’s role in the society, visit a weaving project and a community agricultural site.
Our Peru In All Its Splendor women-only tour will be a 9-day journey that lets you discover art, beauty, and food in this South American country. It’s a trip worth taking as it is filled with many adventures. It’s not only fun, it’s also educational.
Traveling to Peru anytime soon? Here are some tips:
1. Take care of your migration card. An Andean Migration Card will be handed to you at the airport. It is imperative that you don’t lose it. Bring it with you everywhere because you’ll need the card especially when you check into hotels.
2. Hold onto your bag. Watch you bag and other belongings very carefully. It’s relatively safe in Peru but it’s best to be careful. You don’t know when pickpockets and thieves will strike.
3. Always bring wet wipes, tissues, and hand sanitizer with you. It’s best to be prepared and hygienic at all times.
4. Haggle. When shopping, it’s okay to haggle. Don’t pay more for stuff you usually find in your country. Check the quality. If you like the product, negotiate the price.
5. Most establishments accept soles or US dollars. It’s okay if you only have dollars with you because people will accept the American currency in Peru.
6. Wear sunscreen. Because the sun is intense in Peru, make sure you wear sunblock or sunscreen all the time. Even if it is cloudy, put on skin protection.
7. Wear comfortable clothes and footwear. It’s warm in Peru so wear light clothes and flip flops if possible. However, there will be a lot of walking so comfortable rubber shoes or sneakers are also recommended.
8. Choose street food vendors that have a lot of crowd. If you get hungry, there are street foods to choose form. Search for a crowd or those dining areas that have a lot of people so you know food is clean.
9. Always carry coins. Credit cards and debit cards are accepted almost everywhere in Peru but it’s best to have coins to pay for public restroom access or pay food street vendors.
10. Hot water is a luxury in Peru. Sorry, but you may have to shower with cold water while on tour.
More details about our Peru Tour Package HERE.
8 Travel Tips to Paris 18 Sep 2014
Paris has always been the top travel destination for couples but the City of Lovers is also a favorite of women going on tours with their girlfriends. We even included it in our list of Top 9 Destinations for Girlfriend Getaways.
Paris in August can be fun but going to the city anytime of the year is quite lovely especially when you’re travelling with the people you love.
Almost anyone who has been to Paris would say the city is simply beautiful. Whether you’re on a honeymoon, a specialty tour, or a women-only tour, you will have the best time in Paris. Follow these simple travel tips and you’re guaranteed of a memorable trip:
- Prepare your itinerary.
Research early on what to do and where to stay while in Paris. Map out your itinerary and prepare a schedule.
- Have a map handy.
You can get a real map or download a Maps app on your smartphone or tablet to use. A guide map will help you to not get lost in the city.
- Visit the Eiffel Tower.
Of course, a trip to Paris won’t be complete without seeing the Eiffel Tower. If you want to go up the tower, expect long lines wrapping the structure. The best time to go there is early in the morning and very late at night to avoid the rush.
- Make sure you visit the most popular sites in Paris.
The Notre Dame, The Louvre, and the Luxembourg Garden are only some of the must-see tourist spots in the city. Make the most of your Parisian trip by having your photo taken in these places.
- Buy a metrocard.
You will be riding the subway a lot so it is advisable you buy a day pass. It’s cheaper, more economical, and more convenient to use.
- Buy a museum pass.
You will also be visiting a lot of museums. Get a museum pass and you’ll save money.
- Memorize key phrases.
Learn the basic French phrases so you’ll survive in the city. “Merci!” means ‘Thank you’. “Ou est le metro?” means “Where is the subway?”. To ask “Do you speak English?”, say “Parlez-vous Anglais?”.
- Get on a boat cruise in the evening.
End the day with a lovely boat cruise along the Seine River. Discover the City of Lights. You’ll see the beauty of Paris all lit up.
Gateway Destinations can plan a luxurious Parisian trip for you. The team knows best how a women-only journey should go. Taste the regional wines at a local vineyard, learn the secrets of cooking rustic French dishes, or just shop in Paris to your heart’s content.
Want To Extend Your Trip? 15 Aug 2014
Did you know that you can often plan a stopover for free or very little additional money when traveling abroad by air? Overnight or several day stops in major hubs like Singapore, Tokyo, Paris, Dubai, Istanbul, Honolulu and even lesser frequented areas like Helsinki and Reykjavik, can be added to your itinerary very cost effectively in many cases. This may be a nice way to ease a long journey. Call us for help in enhancing your next adventure!