Archive for Travel Tips
CONSIDER PURCHASING EUROS NOW FOR SUMMER TRAVEL 15 Mar 2013
After reaching a high of nearly 1.37 conversion in early February, the Euro has continued to decline in value compared to the US dollar. It is currently about 1.30 and historically begins to rise again before summer travel. If you are planning a trip to Europe this spring or summer, you may want to consider purchasing your Euros now.
SUITCASE SECURITY 15 Feb 2013
- Pack valuable items in your carry-on luggage. If you must check it, take a photo of the contents, make an itemized list and copy your sales receipts, if possible.
- Expensive bags are more attractive to thieves so you may want to avoid checking your favorite leather luggage and instead, opt for lesser expensive mainstream luggage.
- Remove all prior tags and stickers from your luggage before traveling (except your ID tag) so information from a prior trip doesn’t confuse the baggage handler.
- Consider placing a copy of your itinerary and contact information for your first destination inside your bag where it can be easily seen.
- Lock your bag with a TSA-approved lock, but keep in mind that this is only a deterrent – they can be removed fairly easily
TIME TO “EAT CROW” / FLIGHTS FOR A CRUISE 15 Jan 2013
For those of you I have advised to fly in the day before your cruise and those who are contemplating a cruise, a recent trip to Costa Rica reminded me that I need to “practice what I preach.” To save time, I thought I would take an early morning flight through Houston to Costa Rica for my ship departing at 10:00 pm. Little did I suspect that a severe storm would roll into Texas in December canceling all flights in and out of Houston for several hours, resulting in a late arrival into Costa Rica – too late to catch my ship. An effort to save a little travel time, resulted in spending the next two days catching up with my ship in Nicaragua – at my own expense, of course. I’ll make sure and listen to my own advice next time!
MINIMIZING JET LAG 15 Dec 2012
- Set your watch to the time at your destination when you leave
- Stay well hydrated with water and avoid alcohol and caffeine
- Exercise in your seat (ankle circles, knee lifts, etc.) and walk the aisles when possible
- Wear an eye shield and use noise canceling earplugs when you need to sleep
- Eat light and healthy meals during flight